Silas Hoadley Clocks
The third member of the pioneer company of Terry, Thomas et Hoadley was Silas Hoadley. S. Hoadley was born in 1786 at Bethany, Conn., and, like his associates, his educational advantages were few. In fact the years of apprenticeship were so long that boys were taken from school very early, so that they might become journeymen by the time they were of age. Hoadley was unusually young when he was bound apprentice to his uncle Calvin Hoadley to learn the trade of a carpenter.
In 1809 his apprenticeship was completed and he formed the partnership with Terry and Thomas, and commenced to make clocks at Grey stone, a portion of Plymouth. One after another the partners withdrew, Terry in 1810, Thomas in 1814, leaving Silas Hoadley alone. He continued to make clocks till 1849, when he rented his shops and closed up his business. There were no more clocks made in these works, which were now devoted to the making of knives and shears. Mr. Hoadley, being a man of parts, was able to overcome many of the disadvantages of a faulty education. His townspeople elected him to represent them in the General Assembly several times, and in the year 1844 to the state Senate. He stood high in Masonic orders, was a good churchman, Episcopalian, and his agreeable manner made him many friends. He worked hard and made sufficient money to retire with comfort, educate his five children, and contribute liberally to both his church and the town where he lived so long. He died at Plymouth, Connecticut, on December 28, 1870.
Samuel & Luther Hoadley
There were others of the name of Hoadley successfully engaged in the making of clocks, for in 1807 Samuel and Luther with Riley Whiting opened works at Winsted, Conn., for making wood clocks. The way these clocks were made was similar to that followed by other makers of the period, and a vast number of them were distributed in Canada and the United States.
Luther Hoadley died in 1813. Samuel entered the army, retiring from the business. Whiting continued successfully, enlarged the business, built new shops and made eight-day clocks. He died in 1835.
The business was purchased in 1841 by Lucius Clarke, who associated with him William L. Gilbert. The firm name was Clarke, Gilbert et Co. Later it became W. L. Gilbert, and in 1866 was incorporated as The Gilbert Manufacturing Co. In 1871 it was reorganised as the Wm. L. Gilbert Clock Co., and did a large business, sending its clocks all over the world.